KRS 158.030---any child who is five years of age or who may become five years of age by August 1st may enter a public kindergarten; any child who is six years old or may become six years of age by August 1st shall attend public school.
Kindergarten is compulsory. All children must attend.
A child/parent must provide the following:
- A legal birth certificate or other reliable proof* of age and identification
- Proof of residency (See link below for details) **
- A Social Security Card
- An up-to-date immunization certificate
- School entrance physical exam on a Kentucky form
- Current eye exam by an optometrist/ophthalmologist
- Dental screening or examination on a Kentucky form
- No phone registrations
* Types of "other reliable proof" of a student's identity and age may include but not be limited to Social Security card; passport; military identification or immigration card; baptismal certificate; copy of the record of baptism – notarized or duly certified and which reflects the date of the student’s birth; recording of student’s name and birth in a family Bible or other religious text; notarized statement from the parents or another relative or guardian as to the date of the student’s birth; prior school record indicating the date of the student’s birth; driver’s license or learner’s permit; adoption record; any religious record authorized by a religious official; affidavit of identity and age; any government document or court record reflecting the date of the student’s birth; oral proof when the native language of a parent or guardian is not a written language.
** Proof of Residency (pdf)
STUDENTS MUST REGISTER IN THE SCHOOL DISTRICT THAT IS THE LEGAL/PERMANENT RESIDENCE OF THE LEGAL GUARDIAN.