The only written home work in band will be related to writing assignments. Students will be expected to turn in 4 practice journals per week. Each practice journal is worth 100pts. Practice counts 10% towards the total band grade.
PRACTICE JOURNALS ARE DUE ON MONDAY OR TUESDAY.
Practice sessions should last 20 minutes. Don't forget to get a parent signature and/or comment.
PRACTICE JOURNAL BLANK PAGES CAN BE FOUND ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE, or You may file them electronically (submit 1 per week). Here is the link.
~How to Practice~
The Difference Between Play and Practice
Think of "playing" as going through the music one or several times over. "Practice" on the other hand has a focus. This focus includes:
1. Playing the established warm up (long tones, lip slurs, scales etc)
2. Playing the music
3. Identifying the problem spots
4. Making exercises out of those problem spots
5. Work from a slow tempo (speed) to the required tempo
6. Working out the music from small sections to larger sections (i.e. 2 measures at a time, then 2 more measures, the those 4 measures put together)
7. Playing the piece from beginning to end as a wrap up
8. Using your pencil throughout the process